Tuesday, March 29, 2011

In Training Part 1

So wondering what are we doing actually in school? Different school offer different ‘excitement’ so me being in this school I can only tell you what I experience here so far. Some information sadly I cant share it out, under the company’s policy and some information you have to experience it yourself to feel it. It means that whatever I can tell here maybe different from other cadets because different people view things differently.

Starting late 2009, most of the schools around Malaysia had changed their old syllabus(Civil Aviation Authority CAA) to the new(Joint Aviation Authority JAA) syllabus. I don’t quite understand about CAA since I don’t have the privilege to sit for CAA but then if you want to know anything and everything about JAA I’d be more than happy to assist you.

We started off the first 3 weeks studying for our in-house Private Pilot License(PPL) examination. It’s the first stage of becoming an airline pilot. Bear with me as I will lay out everything about the flow that you have to endure if you are to become an airline pilot. All new cadets will be sitting for 9 subjects and the result will be sent to the Department of Civil Aviation Malaysia(DCA). The subjects are

Airlaw – Malaysian Airspace Law and Restrictions.
Radio-Telephony – Learn everything about the radio calls and the procedures.
Engines – Basic piston engines.
Electrics – Basic electrics.
Airframes – Basic airframes of single engine airplanes.
Meteorology – All about the weather of the world.
Principle of Flight – To fly you need to know the basic principle behind it.
Human Performance and Limitation – Your own performance and limitations during flight.
Instrumentation – Well, you need to know your instrument to fly visually or instrumentally.

For this particular examination, you will be tested on just the basics. From my point of view, these was as easy as kindergarten level if I were to compare it to the later phases. So if you struggle here, trust me you will surely struggle for the later.

But theres more to it than it meets the eye. Being a cadet in a highly rated school, we don’t just sit and study without having to do other things. When I first entered here, this school, APFT, is kinda adopting a semi-military standard, having said this, you should know what difference it should hold comparing to other, more lenient school. We have to parade twice a week. Respect the seniors of all age. Follow the rules(strictly or face the consequences). No going out freely from our crew residence. No cars is allowed . No that no this much much more. Now almost everything is in the past. The school board decided that by adopting this semi-military school is not healthy for business therefore they decided to abolish some crazy, out of the mind ruling. Some rule stays but I can say that mostly all has gone down the drain.

I am actually quite sad over this matter because it’s the only thing that separates our school from the other schools. Airlines will look on us with high regard thinking that will all these rules, APFT students will be on a different level. Oh well, I am not the chairman and I believe he, above all must know what he is doing so I cant complain but to live with it. After all, we’re in Kelantan and what can we do here for entertainment? Almost none! So the best option for us is to suffer for 2 years, studying and keep studying and graduate among the top! The competition is getting tougher by day as more pilots are graduating and I welcome any rules that the school impose for the better of their cadets.

Back to the flow. We have to wake up everyday at 0530 so we could catch the first bus. We are living in a place called the crew residence, about 15 minutes away from the APFT Ground School located just around the airport. Our classes are being scheduled everyday from Sunday to Thursday starting at 0715 to 1545. Oh yes we cant simply miss the bus or else we will surely miss the first class and trust me you don’t want to give a reason saying, ”oh I missed the first bus because I woke up late”. You will get screwed with your instructor and its not nice at this stage to build a bad reputation among the instructors. After all, they will be the one who the airlines going to call and ask for enquiries, your behavior, how disciplined are you and god knows what more.

Oh yes to be continued….. hihihihi

No comments:

Post a Comment